[ODE] Collision Detection

Hamid Chitsaz chitsaz at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:49:01 2002

Hello Russ

   Great work! I love your work very much.

I have 3 questions:

1. I want to use a free dynamics engine for simulating a biped humanoid
robot in a real environment such as an office or a room, for
robotics motion planning purposes. Which engine do you recommend? I have 3
choices in mind: ODE, DynaMechs, and Brian Mirtich's.

2. I noticed in the ODE examples, specially in the boxes chain, that the
boxes collide into eachother without being detected. This is really a
drawback for ODE. I wanted to know whether this is a grave problem or not,
and also whether you are going to fix it in a near future or not.

3. In regard to question 2, is the ODE collision detection module easily
replaceable by other collision detection libraries such as PQP?

Thank you very much