[ODE] Collision Detection & Geometry Groups

Burton Radons loth at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 11 06:23:01 2002

Gene Ruebsamen wrote:

> 1) If I create several box geometries all connected by joints and put
> them into a geometry group, and then put that geometry group into a
> Space, I will lose all collision detection between the individual
> geometries in that group. (ie. two box geometries can interpentrate each
> other, however, collision detection between the geometries and the
> ground still occurs).

Yup, that's one of their more useful features.

> 2) If I wanted collision detection between each individual box geometry
> in the group, would I have to destroy the group and place each geometry
> into the space individually.

Section 9.2.5 of the user documentation.  You will have to add them into
a separate space and call dSpaceCollide on them; I can't think of any
problems this would produce, so it should work fine.  It doesn't appear
that this will interfere with them colliding with objects in the
parent's space as well.