Re[2]: [ODE] ODE with .net or atleast no make files

Royce Mitchell III Royce Mitchell III <royce3 at ev1.net>
Sat Dec 28 08:12:02 2002

As a game developer, it makes more sense to target your largest market
share, which is the Windows platform. As far as open source platforms
go, I think ReactOS has the best chance to compete, myself. Yes,
Direct3D has everything that OpenGL does, but it's still hard to read
and use. It's also easier for vendor's to provide extensions with the
latest technology in OpenGL. For example, you could do Hardware
Displacement mapping in OpenGL as soon as the Radeon 9700 was
released, but you had to wait for DirectX 9 to get it in Direct3D.

Game Programming is one of the most difficult disciplines we will
encounter, and it doesn't behoove us to take sides for political
reasons. OpenGL on the Windows platform is the most productive choice,
at this time, IMHO. I have had a little experience trying to get 3D
working on Linux, and it was a frustrating experience, but that was a
year ago. Perhaps it has improved, but I kinda doubt it, because
nobody else seemed to think there was a problem.

As far as the .NET Framework goes, it is actually an open architecture
( a MS first! ). The Mono project is working on creating an open
source implementation of it. I'm sure that eventually you will be
able to make cross-platform web apps with it, once it becomes an
integral part of Linux. However, I doubt DX-anything will ever be
cross-platform. The question is, is it easy to write web apps with
.NET without the use of DX?

Well, just my 2 cents.

Royce3