[ODE] Odd Hinge-2 Behaviour?

Thomas Harte thomasharte at lycos.co.uk
Thu Dec 26 05:05:02 2002

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0008381040904212_ID

First of all, thanks to all for replying! Apologies for having been so thick.

adam.moravanszky@novodex.com :
> It is so.  First, when using ODE, you are not modeling cogs,

No, no, I know. But that is what my simulation is pretending to model, and I am trying to
ask (via an incredibly misleading subject line) if the mathematical model I have
implemented in ODE is giving results very far removed from what users will believe.

> However, the case you seem to
> desire, that only one start to rotate compared to the world reference
> frame,
> will only happen if you fix that body (give it infinite mass)
> in the world.

Okay, thanks. Clearly then, I have yet to fully realise what is going on. Or rather, had
yet.

> > When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour,
> > sounds,
>
> I hope they are enough in this case..  :-)

Rejected slogan : Vodafone live! A new world of waiting in supermarkets for footballers
to pay. Also rejected : Vodafone live! - using a very old song indeed (the Mock Turtles!)
to remind you about when we first promised to introduce these features.

Martin C. Martin :
> Conservation of momentum is a lot more fundamental than conservation
> of energy

Okay. Sorry!

Jon Watte :
> Perhaps science eduation these days has devolved a little
> further? (Here's where I start griping about "kids today"
> and all that ;-)
> That would be true if your entire car was considered a point
> mass.

Science education is barely compulsory in my country. The last 'science' I did was dual
award (i.e. same value as two of any other subjects) combined Physics, Biology and
Chemistry which I completed immediately before being 16.

Since then I have done a fairly high quantity of Newtonian mechanics courses, and even
scored 98% for the Newtonian Mechanics course that forms part of the first year of
pure maths degrees at my top 10 UK university. However I have notably not yet taken
the Analytic Mechanics course, which is when we start doing real maths including the
Lagrangian stuff and anything other than point masses.

No doubt it is my limited learning that is therefore inhibiting my expectations of what will
occur rather than either a good mathematical grounding or good instincts telling me that
what I have modelled in ODE does actually react quite similarly to what I want it to
appear to be.

Nate W:
> When you introduce gravity and ground, the chassis doesn't spin
> at all,
> and the wheels spin much more slowly than in the 'free fall'
> scenario, and
> instead the kinetic energy is manifested in forward speed.

Which does kind of beg the question - what did I think was happening to the forces that
otherwise would have combined with frictional contacts to generate linear acceleration?

-Thomas

When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour, sounds, picture messages and information on your mobile. <a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4909903;7724245;q?http://www.vodafone.co.uk/live">
Click here</a> to find out more.

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0008381040904212_ID--