[ODE] Odd Hinge-2 Behaviour?

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Dec 25 13:36:01 2002

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Thomas Harte wrote:

> This I understand, but we are not talking about a situation where
> energy is conserved, we are talking about a system where energy is
> introduced into the equation via the car engine.

Conservation of energy still holds.  Chemical energy (from the fuel)
converted to kinetic energy.  Energy is neither created nor destroyed.

Along the axle there is a torque; as a result of this torque, the wheels
spin one direction and the chassis spins the other direction.  The wheels
are light and small, so they spin quickly; the chassis is large and heavy
so it spins slowly.

When you introduce gravity and ground, the chassis doesn't spin at all,
and the wheels spin much more slowly than in the 'free fall' scenario, and
instead the kinetic energy is manifested in forward speed.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA