[ODE] Odd Hinge-2 Behaviour?

Thomas Harte thomasharte at lycos.co.uk
Sat Dec 21 19:07:01 2002

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0029121040522734_ID

Apologies to all, I had indeed confused myself with the notes I had taken from my development machine to one connected to the internet - the wheels and chassis in my case do indeed turn in opposite directions.

> One thing I noticed, I can't remember the numbers from your original
> mail but I remember thinking that your wheels were rather heavy
> for
> the car.  A typical situation is a 2500lb car with ~40lb wheels.
> That's a ratio of 62:1.

1143kg vs 15kg, which is a ratio of roughly 76:1, so surely my wheels are too light if anything?

>Very likely. The wheels spin one way -- where do you think the force that
>spins them one way has its counterforce? You're correct: in your chassis!
>Thus, what your engine really does is create a separation force that tries
>to push the wheels one way, and the chassis the other way. This is
>Newtonian physics 101.

With all due respect, Newtonian physics '101' (American for introductory?) will simply tell me that every force has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, I see no reason why the chemicals being burnt inside my engine may not be turning some sort of cog attached to the wheels, causing the rotation of the wheels to be the reaction to that particular action, and yielding acceleration with no rotation effect on the chassis whatsoever.

-Thomas

When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour, sounds, picture messages and information on your mobile. <a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4909903;7724245;q?http://www.vodafone.co.uk/live">
Click here</a> to find out more.

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0029121040522734_ID--