[ODE] Randomness in ODE

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Wed Dec 18 08:30:02 2002

I use ODE for evolving virtual creatures, and a creature isn't mutated,
then in the next generation it goes through exactly the same steps and
ends up in exactly the same location (roundoff errors and all), and
therefore gets exactly the same fitness.  Also, if I print it out to a
text file at the end of the run, the load it in at the beginning of the
next run, it again goes through exactly the same steps and gets exactly
the same result.

I'm not using all parts of ODE, but I suspect even the parts I'm not using
work this way.  But I can't say for sure...

- Martin