[ODE] Randomness in ODE

Thomas Harte thomasharte at lycos.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 08:24:02 2002

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0177301040224952_ID

>ODE is completely deterministic, at least the parts that I'm using...

I believe that ODE is overwhelmingly deterministic, but that there may be some
variations in floating point accuracy from one target (i.e. combination of processor and
OS) to another. And my understanding of such things is that errors accumulate, right?

Actually, this fits in well to a question I was going to ask. For my game, I would like to
implement a replay feature. Because of my belief as per the above, I do not think that
simply replaying the user supplied input to the game engine will work - especially not if a
saved replay is sent, e.g. from someone using a Windows PC to someone using a Mac. I
have therefore decided to take the approach of storing orientation and position of
bodies at a certain (high-ish) rate, and interpolating between those. Was this a bad
decision? Would I notice massive jumps if I stored the input state, and then the state of
every body just, say, once every second, and pushed the input into the game engine
but forced the bodies to jump to the stored states at the correct intervals?

-Thomas

When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour, sounds, picture messages and information on your mobile. <a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4909903;7724245;q?http://www.vodafone.co.uk/live">
Click here</a> to find out more.

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0177301040224952_ID--