[ODE] Simulating Life (v2)

Gene Ruebsamen gene at erachampion.com
Tue Aug 27 13:29:02 2002

Greetings,

A few weeks (months?) back I promised to post some of the results I have had
with simulating virtual creatures (using ODE for the physics).  I'm
currently working on a framework that involves optimizing the creatures
brain using a GA.

So far, I have been able to evolve several different "species" of virtual
creatures that have evolved their own locomotive abilities.  Some species
have evolved interesting methods of locomotion... =)  I next will attempt to
evolve unique behaviors in a more complex environment.

I've posted pictures and videos at: http://www.erachampion.com/ai/

ODE is a great engine, without which, I would have never gotten as far as I
have.  (Thanks Russ!)  For those of you considering ODE for simulating life,
here are a few quirks that I have run into:

There are a few ODE quirks that make simulating life difficult:
* No motorized universal joint
* dJointGetAMotorAngleRate() currently not implemented
* joint stability, especially with the ball & socket joint/amotor.

I am sure the above quirks will be fixed.  Kudos to all those working on
ODE!

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms appreciated.

Gene Ruebsamen
Sales Associate
ERA Champion Realty, Inc.
http://www.ERAchampion.com