[ODE] body geometry dualism

maddocks@metservice.com maddocks at metservice.com
Wed Aug 7 13:57:02 2002

--Apple-Mail-1-1054456705

from the docs...

void dGeomSetBody (dGeomID, dBodyID);
dBodyID dGeomGetBody (dGeomID);

These functions set and get the body associated with the geometry=20
object. Setting the body automatically attaches the position vector and=20=

rotation matrix of the body to the geometry object. Setting a body ID of=20=

zero gives the geometry object its own position and rotation,=20
independent from any body.

Bodies are for physics, geometries are for collsion detection. You don't=20=

have to have both but when you do they behave as one 'entity'.
So when you attach a body to some geometry they share the same position=20=

etc. You don't have to set both.

Henry

On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 04:46  AM, Michael Scharvogel wrote:

> hi folks ...
> =A0
> There's another thing, that I cannot figure out.
> Why is it necessary to keep this body - geometry dualism.
> =A0
> If i got it right, I habe to set the geometry position AND the body=20
> position. So what's the difference in these positions and why do I =
have=20
> to keep them consistent / what happens if I don't keep them that way =
??
> =A0
> =A0
> Sorry interrupting you, but I just could not get the point...
> =A0
> thanx, mike

"A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute a crisis on mine."

--Apple-Mail-1-1054456705

from the docs...

=
ger>void
dGeomSetBody (dGeomID, dBodyID);

dBodyID dGeomGetBody (dGeomID);

Grande</param><bigger>

These functions set and get the body associated with the geometry
object. Setting the body automatically attaches the position vector
and rotation matrix of the body to the geometry object. Setting a body
ID of zero gives the geometry object its own position and rotation,
independent from any body.

</bigger></fontfamily>

Bodies are for physics, geometries are for collsion detection. You
don't have to have both but when you do they behave as one 'entity'.

So when you attach a body to some geometry they share the same
position etc. You don't have to set both.

Henry