[ODE] RE: [CsMain] Penetration depth/exact collision

Darken, Chris cjdarken at nps.navy.mil
Sat Apr 20 23:12:22 2002

It is also my understanding that exact penetration depth calculation for
arbitrary meshes is difficult.  See my previous posting for paper and code
references.  However, I am wondering what would happen if we fed a ODE a
lower bound on the penetration depth, say specifically the penetration depth
of any two triangles that get returned from a collision detector like RAPID.
If we're lucky the penalty we'd pay for the approximation would only be that
it takes an extra frame or two for an interpenetration to be removed, and
not even that if we make sure that objects aren't traveling fast enough for
a deep interpenetration to begin with.  I was hoping to experiment myself,
but haven't found time yet.  Any comments from those in the know?
Chris

FROM: Daniel Duhprey
DATE: 04/17/2002 15:16:21
SUBJECT: RE: [CsMain] Penetration depth/exact collision