[ODE] simulation steps in a game

Bruce Williams brucewms at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 11 20:42:01 2002

Animation movement is not really needed at near frame rate. If several
animated objects move independently at frame rate, you don't have a "all
jump now" effect and the eye is happy. Back in the prehistoric days of 8bit
processors, that was one method used at both Williams and Atari where I
worked. Classic cell animation used this also, moving different cells each
camera shot.

They had a "processor bandwidth problem" also that limited the "cell rate",
the animators wrist could move the pen only so fast....

Has anyone ran ODE on a timer to provide the minimum "good" simulation? You
get "beat problems", but a slower animation rate actually minimizes this
problem. I have used a steady dynamically calculated "intelligent" movement
and quick per/frame tweened ( simple linear interpolation ) values to avoid
beats.

What I am saying is there are system level solutions that avoid the need for
acceptable brute force ability.

Bruce Williams
"Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two"