[ODE] Universal Joint

Adam Rotaru adam_rotaru at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 10:32:01 2002

--- "Martin C. Martin" <martin@metahuman.org> wrote:
> I just had a look, and I couldn't find the ALimit
> joint, either in the
> docs or in the headers.  Is ALimit the name of it?
> Is this in 0.03?  It
> would really come in handy, if I could just find
> it...
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Phew, I was thinking about the AMotor joint.  There's
no
ALimit, it was a typo. Sorry!

What I had in mind:
- two bodyes
- a ball socket joint between the two bodies
- an AMotor joint between the two joint,
  - in Euler mode
  - axis 0 ties to body 1 (say, it's x axis)
  - axis 2 tied to body 2 (say, it's z axis)

Axis 1 will be computed by the joint to be
perpendicular
to the other two axes.  It is possible to limit the
range
of motion on each axes separately.  I thought that
limiting
motion on two of the axes can result in a universal
joint,
but now that I think of it more, I can't see how.
In any case, a single sepcialized joint is more
precise and efficient.

BTW, I use the Ball+AMotor combination to implement
a human hip joint with different range of motion in
different directions, such as -150 to 30 degrees
extension/flection, -45 to 25
abduction/adduction, 70 to -20 rotation.

cheers,
  Adam