[ODE] Updating ODE documentation (was: hello world)

Adam Moravanszky amoravanszky at dplanet.ch
Thu Nov 29 07:42:01 MST 2001

Hello,

>  First, using formulas or textual representations of
> the formulas will get the mathematics - oriented
> people to understand what is going on, but what about
> the programmers who wants to use ODE as a tool?

But those programmers who will successfully use ODE are "mathematics
oriented people"!  The others will fail no matter how simple you make the
documentation.  In fact, if the docs talk down to them, they won't have an
opportunity to learn either.

>  Second, such names as "coefficient of restitution"
> and not "bounce" are OK for people with english -
> based physics knowledge but who ever learned physics
> (in high school) using another language will have to
> go and discover that "coefficient of restitution" is
> actually "bounce" of some sort.

I am Hungarian, and I know what it is.  Plus, there is this thing called a
'dictionary'.  In fact, if you do a search on "coefficient of restitution"
w. google, you get a zillion definitions and you can then learn all about
it.

>  Basic understanding of rigid body dynamics and other
> terms is an important step in bringing more people
> into the area of physics engines.

Exactly, which is why we need exact and accurate documentation.

--Adam