[ODE] Weekly CVS tagging?

nlin@nlin.net nlin at nlin.net
Mon Nov 26 05:43:01 MST 2001

> the lesson here is that v0.025 is getting seriously old, don't use it
> anymore. it should not be the default "stable" release that people
> download. i should maybe make a v0.029 from the latest CVS ... ?

You used to have a script which you ran regularly to create the
snapshots (before you had CVS set up). Now that CVS is set up, would
it be possible to write a weekly script which "tags" the current version
of all files with a dated release name (e.g. ode-25112001)? This way there
would be no confusion when reporting errors (since "the latest CVS version"
may change hourly, whereas "snapshot ode-25112001" is unambiguous). I
believe this tagging can be done with a single command.

I don't know what this mechanism is called in CVS (since I've used 5 version
control systems, and each vendor has a different term for the same concepts),
but I know it exists.

-Norman