[ODE] Re: Mapping to OpenGL axis system

Ruud van Gaal ruud at marketgraph.nl
Fri Nov 23 05:10:02 MST 2001

Hi Chris and the group,

> Hi Ruud
>
> Did you get your problem sorted out?

I did; if anyone could follow my post about using the transposed matrix in
dBodyAddRelTorque() instead of the normal matrix (dBodyGetRotation()); this
worked beautifully and now my sim works as before (except I have double
state variables; my old ones and the new ODE ones, which I have to smooth
out). Ofcourse, I had to change the ODE source for that.
So I'm convinced that dBodyAddRelTorque() needs to multiply using the
transposed (inverted) matrix instead of the body's R matrix directly, until
anyone can prove me otherwise. Again, supplying only world coordinates to
ODE using dBodyAddTorque() will work fine and you won't notice any bugs
(although I don't say 'bug' easily, it seems like one, as changing the
function to what I thought it should do immediately resolved the whole lot,
and now I add forces/torque without any negations).

Ruud