[ODE] fxengine

nathan@whatever.net nathan at whatever.net
Thu Nov 22 22:54:02 MST 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Anselm Hook wrote:

> > What kind of scenegraph are you using there?
>
> OpenSceneGraph seems to be the best one out there.  OpenSG is complicated.
> None of the other Inventor clones seem very good.  Java3D requires Java.
> Steve Bakers PLIB and SSG do not take enough advantage of C++.

Have you looked at OpenRM?  I am interested in your thoughts on it... I've
been looking at dynamics and scene graph libraries for the last few days,
but my 3D programming experience is limited so I'm interested in thoughts
from people with more experience than I.

> What I think I really need is a visual scripting tool that lets me
> drag and drop collision hulls, dynamic bodies and graphic objects
> around and place them properly. My schedule for that isn't determined
> yet.

That sounds very much like the project I'm embarking on right now.  I did
a very basic prototype in two dimensions about a year ago, and now that I
have some free time I'm getting set to dive into a 3D version.  I'm
basically aiming for virtual Lego bricks, but with better joints and more
useful motors.  If there's anyone else on this list interested in a
drag-and-drop "articulated body development toolkit," perhaps we could
work together.

Feel free to reply off-list if you'd rather, I realize this isn't strictly
related to ODE anymore.

Thanks...

--

Nate Waddoups