[ODE] Joint Groups

Adam Moravanszky amoravanszky at dplanet.ch
Fri Nov 16 06:13:02 MST 2001

> Is there any reason for explicit joint groups with a fixed size.  This
> strikes me as a very primitive interface.  If it is possible to create
> bodies without a fixed size body group, then surely ODE could also manage
> joint groups as some internal data structure.  My primary problem is
having
> to set a maximum number -- there is no reason why I should know how many
> joints I will need.  I would have no problem with an initial size hint on
> which you can base your growing strategy on.

Addendum:  Perhaps exposing joint groups in the interface is not necessary
at all.  The only functionality joint groups have at the moment is to
destroy all the joints they contain with one call.  This is indeed useful
for getting rid of temporary contacts, but there is no reason why the user
of the library couldn't do this manually.

BTW:  Would it not make sense to split the collision detection library off
ODE?  I'm not using it in my current project (yet), and I'm sure many others
will find that they need to use their own collision detection as well.  Why
not make it a separate library with separate documentation?

--
-- Adam Moravanszky
http://n.ethz.ch/student/adammo/