[ODE] A 'real' demo of ODE

Gregor Veble gregor.veble at uni-mb.si
Wed Nov 14 05:37:01 MST 2001

Hi Russ et al. :)

That's interesting to hear, that a single more complex link is faster than the sum of
its parts. I was under the impression that the numerical demand is predominantly
dependent upon the number of degrees of freedom removed. To use an example: if you
model the same sort of a link by either a single hinge joint, or by using two
ball-socket type of links, could you please explain where the difference in numerical
complexity comes about?

I see your point about the correction parameter doing their stuff if links are moved,
since it is a slow motion relative to others I bet for a steering type of a link such
an approach would turn out verz well.

About the 'pseudo algorithm' of mine; I studied the constrained systems a bit more
(Baraff) and realized that using the principle of virtual work makes the calculations
very much simpler (the matrices to be solved are much smaller than what I had in
mind). Therefore the first part of the message I sent you can easily be discarded :).
The approach towards correction of errors, though, does seem to differ from the usual
one, however it is slightly more numerically demanding (but probably more robust).
When you have time, let me know what you think of it.

Greetings,

-Gregor