[ODE] A 'real' demo of ODE

Erwin de Vries erwin at vo.com
Tue Nov 13 05:51:01 MST 2001

> I've put a demo of my car sim using the ODE library on my site
> (http://www.cersoft.com), it can be found in the dynamics/downloads
> section, is it an OpenGL demo but unfortunately it is windows only.

Cool demo. However it crashed the 1st time i started it. =P The other runs
were fine though.

> The simulation is running at 100hz, I would have liked it at 200hz but
> the CPU usage goes up a bit too much, too many bodies connected in a
> single island!!

It would be ideal if you could set some sort of 'safe-time' on a per body
basis, which would determine the simulation rate for the stepsize for a
particular island. This would require a change in the way ODE works though,
as the collision detection would have to be redone between steps as well.
Have you ever been thinking about this Russ?

> I know that there are many things on your to do list, but could you
> possibly start thinking about 5 link suspension joints :-) ?

I'm pretty interested in these. Our suspension isnt as cool as yours. =( I'm
wondering how have you implemented them? As a true ODE joint?

Erwin