[ODE] A 'real' demo of ODE

Colin Reed colin at nintendo.co.jp
Mon Nov 12 19:44:02 MST 2001

I've put a demo of my car sim using the ODE library on my site
(http://www.cersoft.com), it can be found in the dynamics/downloads
section, is it an OpenGL demo but unfortunately it is windows only.

I have a total of 14 bodies connected in a single system to simulate the
car body and double wishbone suspension.

Things to note in this demo :-

Gravity is -9.81f, yes this seems like a trivial point but all of the
sample test programs all have gravity at a very low value hence
collisions etc are not a problem. But put gravity to 'real world' values
and joints have a much harder time solving especially when applying the
suspension damped springs.

It is framerate independent, which means that the framerate of the demo
is not tied to the speed of the cpu or size of the rendering window. I
am not currently smoothing the rendering between steps, that is for the
future, a simple task anyway.

The simulation is running at 100hz, I would have liked it at 200hz but
the CPU usage goes up a bit too much, too many bodies connected in a
single island!!

I know that there are many things on your to do list, but could you
possibly start thinking about 5 link suspension joints :-) ?

Enjoy,
	Colin