[ODE] Compiling with VC++

Shaul Kedem shaul_kedem at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 05:10:02 MST 2001

Hi,

--- Kenneth Holmlund <holmlund at hpc2n.umu.se> wrote:
> Could someone give me a five liner instruction how
> to compile
> ODE with VC++. Do I need Gnu Make instead of MS
> NMake in order
> to get it to work.
> Hints about how to do it are appreciated (I'm a poor
> unix
> developer partly migrating to MS Environment...).
> /Kenneth

OK :)....
 first of all, there is the "Install" file with the
instructions in it, its in the root of the tarred
file. I've pasted it at the end of this email for
generations to come :)

 You might run into "can't find that
lib/header/whatever problem - make sure the
environment variable ("path" "lib" "include" and so
on) are there, correct and pointing to the places you
need.

 to compile ODE (right now) you do need make.exe from
the q12.org/ode site (link is:
http://www.q12.org/ode/snapshots/make.exe)

 If you want some tips on how to do a quick and dirty
debug version that has symbols in it (for msvc) look
at my post :
http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2001-November/000364.html

 You might encounter stack overflow, to avoid that use
the /STACK option with some very high value (msvc uses
a default of 1 meg, it might not be enough for some
things).

Hope I helped,
shul.

==================
The Install file:
------------------
the configuration process is not currently automated.
currently only linux
and MS-windows (using VC++, GCC-MinGW or Cygwin) have
been verified to work.
you will need GNU make 3.78.1 or later.

step 1
------

copy build/Makefile.config.example to
build/Makefile.config

edit the settings in the following files to match your
platform

        * build/Makefile.config
        * include/ode/config.h

step 2
------

from the top level directory, type `make'. this will
hopefully build all
libraries and test applications.