[ODE] Re: Joint forces

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Mon Nov 5 19:53:02 MST 2001

nlin at nlin.net wrote:
> Question to physics gurus: ODE uses the maximal coordinate (as
> opposed to a generalized or reduced coordinate) method, where
> constraint forces are computed to ensure that each constraint (joint)
> is met, thereby effectively cancelling illegal accelerations with
> constraint forces.

yes.

> Is the "force which traverses between two connected bodies over a
> specific joint" exactly equal to this computed constraint force?

the "force which traverses between two connected bodies" is not
well defined for me - refer to my previous answer: ODE explicitly
calculates the forces required to keep the jointed bodies together.
these are the forces "felt at the joint", the forces that are trying to
pull the joint apart.

a transformation of these forces is applied to the two jointed bodies
so that they will have the correct joint-maintaining motion.

russ.

--
Russell Smith
http://www.q12.org