[ODE] Re: ODE

Adam Moravanszky amoravanszky at dplanet.ch
Sat Nov 3 05:16:02 MST 2001

> where can i find source code for crater? it would need to provide
> contact normal and penetration depth as well as contact point.

Only on my hard drive.  :-)  You will have to tell me how you guys do source
control and such so I can put it online.  I assume you go through
sourceForge.  Then you will have to add me to the ODE project there.  I
don't want to open source the project as-is, only as part of ODE, and even
for that, I will need to clean up the code, because it looks very messy at
this point. (i.e. I use two different vector classes in it...)  No big deal
though, its only about 1300 lines, and that includes a sorted span list
which serves the same purpose as your hash space, so it may be redundant.

This is the contact callback typedef for crater.  As you can see, it
provides detailed infos:

enum eContactType
 {
 CDSvertexFace,
 CDSedgeEdge
 };

typedef void (*ContactCallback)(OBB & b1, OBB & b2, eContactType type, float
separation, Vec3d & contactPoint, Vec3d & planeNormal, Vec3d & edge1, Vec3d
& edge2);

(the edges contain nonsense unless type ==  CDSedgeEdge)

> important things to do right now are the boring non-physics things
> like configuration management. good configuration management will
> make ODE immediately useful to more people than extra features at
> this point.

Ok, though you have to remember that this is part of a diploma thesis for
me.  Thus I have to do things that are at least moderately challenging
problems in the field.  Of course, if we find that we need this for our
project, then I will do it anyway.  But what exactly do you mean by
configuration management?

>detecting stationary clusters: on the TODO list, and definitely a
>requirement.

Good, so this could be something I could get started on.

Currently I am working myself into understanding GarageGames' mountain of
code, so I can make a proposal next week how our team at school will
integrate new developments into that.  When that is done we will integrate
interfaces to all our new tech that don't use dynamics, so if ODE fails us,
we will still have something to show for ourselves.  :-)  After that I would
like to start working on dynamics (ODE).  That should be at the very end of
November at the latest.

--
-- Adam Moravanszky
http://n.ethz.ch/student/adammo/