[ODE] Slip values and Pacejka Magic Formula

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Mon Dec 10 19:03:03 2001

Andrew Stunell wrote:

> see http://www.esbconsult.com.au/ogden/locost/phors/phors.htm
>
> about magic formula part 21 and 22 I think. This uses a variety of a
> formula developed in a paper by Pacejka.

okay, to try and answer your question:

consider a rotating tyre in contact with the ground (i.e. the vehicle
is moving with a velocity V). if a transverse force F is applied to the
wheel (i.e. perpendicular to the direction of motion), the tyre will
reach a steady state where it 'slips' in the transverse direction with
a velocity proportional to F and V. the scaling factors depend on the
environment. this behavior can be simulated in ODE with the 'slip'
contact parameter. 'slip' basically says that a force at the contact
should produce a resulting velocity (NOT an acceleration, as would
normally be the case). note also that slip is independent of
static/dynamic friction - there is no threshold.

does this help?

russ.

--
Russell Smith