[ODE] status of autoconf?

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Tue Dec 4 22:42:01 2001

> There was some earlier discussion about using
> autoconf/automake for the ODE project.
> I checked the latest CVS, but I see no auto????
> related files.

jens thiele has been working on this, his current work is at:
  http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~thiele/patch/ode/
(i think). i am currently trying to understand this - i have had no
other experience with the autoxxx tools. it has not yet been
integrated with ODE because (a) it's work in progress, and (b) i'm
lazy. (problem 'b' will only get worse as christmas gets closer :)
if you can help - please dive right in! - the more people that
understand how this stuff works the better.

> However, I have no experience with fbuild. Is the
> plan to replace it completely with autoconf or keep it?

fbuild is my own small package for numerical code optimization. refer
to the thread about this from last months list archives. basically,
fbuild could be run once per *platform*, not once per user, because it
takes so long to run ... so we need some work to run it for each
platform we care about. or something...  getting proper fbuild support
is secondary to getting autoconf/automake/libtool working.

oh - a good solution for windows would be good too - the autoconf tools
don't work there unless you have cygwin.

russ.

--
Russell Smith
http://www.q12.org