[ODE] Accelerations

Nate W coding at natew.com
Mon Dec 3 12:46:02 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Adam Moravanszky wrote:

> What I'm talking about is an articulated creature with arms and legs
> and so on, all of them separate entities.  Our tolerance here is much
> smaller since a disjointed knee is much more visible, even if the
> error is a few centimeters, than a rocket that is off even by a much
> greater distance.

Would it be possible to do the synchronization at a higher level, perhaps
sending only the position and orientation of the creature, with the client
simulating all of the creature's articulation?

More demanding for the client's CPU, but...  You could use parallel
simulation to keep the client and server incarnations 'mostly'
synchronized, rapidly sending information about only one part of the
creature - position and orientation of its chest or hips.  Then send the
creature's entire "pose" at relatively lower update rate, to keep it from
drifting too far from the server's view.

Just a thought...

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA