[ODE] Accelerations

Kenneth Holmlund holmlund at hpc2n.umu.se
Mon Dec 3 10:26:02 2001

Hi,
There are many attempts to solve the problems of distributed simulation,
but not many have
tried to distribute full fledged mechanical systems.
A useful reference is: Distributed Networked Environments by Michael
Zyda & Sandeep Singhal.
It is easy to be pessimistic about distributing full physics
simulations, but I'm actually rather
optimistic since information about the physics should be more efficient
to use, than
just pushing transformations and using dead reckoning.
Ultimately we would like the simulation to scale such that it becomes
more and more efficient
the more cleints that connect to the system!
At the developer pages at www.havok.com there are a couple of
interesting white papers
about "network dynamics".

One of the most efficient implementations of networked physics around
can be found in
the games Clusterball and X-team-racing (see  www.daydream.se).
They can host a server on a computer with a GSM modem and attach up to 5
clients on
9.6kbps! They do local simulations on each client and distribute updates
dynamically
depending on game context.

/Kenneth

--